Recently it was reported that 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results (Tweet This!). That statistic might sound incredible, but are you really surprised? When was the last time you clicked to page 2 or 3?
If you haven't gotten around to optimizing your website - don't freak out. Walk away from the ledge. Today is as good as any to start capitalizing on the organic traffic you're missing out on.
There are so many tools available to help your SEO efforts that sometimes, you might not know where to start. Search Engine Land made a good point:
@micheleneeds1L Oh, dear - I think there's too many to choose from...
— Search Engine Land (@sengineland) March 3, 2014
However, after narrowing down a larger list, I was able to pick out a few tools that should help point you in the right direction. (Please note that the tools listed below are definitely not the only ones out there, but they provide you somewhere to start.)
Yoast (WordPress SEO plugin)
60% of all organic clicks go to the top three organic search results (Tweet This!). So ensuring that your website is optimized for search should be your first step toward attracting this traffic to your website.
Whether you're optimizing a website for business or personal use, the Yoast plugin for WordPress is a must-have. With this tool you are able to:
- Easily optimize titles
- Yoast is not kidding around when they say that the content for your page's title tag is one of the single most important factors for ranking in the search results.
- Easily optimize descriptions
- Make sure your meta description engages the reader enough to get them to click through to your website. This should also contain the focus keyword from your page's content and title tag.
- Create XML sitemaps
- Yoast can automatically submit a new post or page to Google & Bing allowing your content to be easily and quickly found by the search engines.
Learn more about what Yoast can help you do here.
You're probably thinking, "Well, this isn't a tool. I can't download and install this plugin." And you're half right - great content won't magically appear from a download and can't be computer generated. But great, original content is one of the most important tools you can leverage for SEO.
You may have heard people say, "content is king," and they're spot on for several reasons. Publishing consistent, new content on your website establishes your brand as a thought leader. Relevant content helps to ensure the traffic the page or article is driving to your website is more likely to lead to conversions.
Good content is also more shareable - an important trait your brand could really use as it continues to grow its online presence. When your content is shared on social media, links are created that will help amplify all of your other SEO efforts.
So you've optimized your website and you're creating great content. You know you now need to refresh your keyword research and check on your competitors. What tools exist that can help you do this?
"The one SEO tool I can't live without is SEMRush. (See him talk more about this here.)
The foundation of any white hat SEO campaign is solid keyword research. The only
problem is that the Google Keyword Planner doesn't give you many keywords
to choose from.
Because SEMRush reverse engineers what keywords your competitor's are already ranking for, you'll usually uncover a few gems that you'd be hard pressed to find any other way."
We couldn't agree more with Brian.
SEMRush is a tool we use all the time at Blue Fountain Media. With SEMRush you are able to:
- See your competitors' organic positions
- Find good long tail keywords
- Compare various SEO metrics such as number of keywords, SE traffic, SE traffic price, and more.
What have we learned from all of this?
- SEO is really important (a lot of people are Googling you).
- Use tools like Yoast and SEMRush to assist your SEO efforts.
- Focus on creating content that is original, thought provoking, and keyword rich.
Feel like you need an extra hand in getting some of this going? Find out how Blue Fountain can help you today.