You know all that time that you've spent customizing your Google Website Optimizer code to play nice with your Google Analytics? Give yourself a good pat on the back and then stop thinking about it. GWO will no longer be available after August 1st. In its place will be Content Experiments, a new section within Google Analytics.
I first read about this on my phone as I walked up to my apartment and immediately missed the next step up. At first, I thought, "Oh, this is terrible... a free A/B testing tool is dying." After I read more I thought, "Now it's finally fully integrated with GA!" Of course, being integrated with GA means that the tool is much more dumbed down (and it is), but it also means that A/B testing has just become ~70% more accessible to the world... and that is sweet.
Here's what it looks like:
1. Click on "Content > Experiments" in the left menu.
2. Enter the URL of the page you wish to test.
3. Enter the URL of the page you wish to test against.
4. Pick your goal from among your GA goals. A dream come true! (Not to mention: you can rewrite variation URLs to your original. Say good-bye to filters, virtual pageviews and all that jazz!)
5. You only have to put code on one page! Weeeeee!
6. Verification works really quickly. (You just need to have your regular GATC on your variation page(s).)
8. And BAM! You are launched!
9. The reports are similar to what you're used to in GWO.