One of the things that I kept hearing over and over again at SES New York, was that if you are running a social media marketing campaign and it’s not working, just stop it and do something else. If you have a corporate blog and it’s not getting you any attention, start over. If your Facebook page has 10 members, all of whom are part of your extended family, shut down that page. There is no use in sinking time and effort into social media activity that is not delivering results for your company.
Here are a few tips on things to watch out for:
1. Do not add a reviews section to your website if you have no reviews to show for products. Not everyone can be Amazon.com.
2. Don’t hire community managers for your “online communities” if you have no communities to manage.
3. Instead of trying to create groups on every single social networking website, join communities where you can find followers and relevant members.
4. Instead of providing every single possible way of sharing a website (Delicious, Digg, Facebook, plus 50 other sharing websites) offer the ones that are most pertinent to members of your audience. That will probably reduce the list to about 3 or 4.
5. If your company does something really boring, don’t try and make that interesting. Instead create a community around a topic that your customers would care about.