Web Directory Defined
A web directory is a website whose purpose is to provide a list of links, organized by industry or topic. Most web directories are populated with user submissions and often offer paid listing options. These submissions are reviewed by editors before being added to the appropriate category. While directory submissions alone are not an effective strategy for driving traffic or increasing search engine rankings, multiple directory listings have been proven to be a valuable addition to SEO campaigns.
Evaluating the Value of a Web Directory
Here are some important questions to ask before submitting to a directory.
- Does the homepage rank for competitive directory terms?
- Do the subpages rank for their relevant keywords?
- Are the featured links legitimate and valuable?
- Is the directory domain mentioned on other websites?
- What is the page strength and authority?